LFM builds the capacity of educators to establish and sustain highly effective professional learning by:
- Advocating with legislators, the Michigan Department of Education, local education agencies, and other professional organizations for professional learning that is collaborative, ongoing, results-driven, embedded, connected to practice, and aligned to school and district goals.
- Modeling high quality professional learning that results in educators’ continuous improvement; and
- Providing programs, services, strategies and tools that are tailored to the specific learning goals of individuals, teams, schools and districts.
Learning Forward Michigan’s Programs
- Journey to Cultural Proficiency for Equity and Excellence
- Leadership Coaching for High Performance Institute
- Leading From the Classroom (A Teacher Leadership Program)
- EduPaths online courses on the professional learning standards
- Courses in the design, implementation and evaluation of professional learning
- A year-long course in Collaborative Inquiry
Learning Forward Michigan’s Services
- Personalized coaching services
- Breakout sessions on professional learning
- Networks for job-embedded professional learning and culturally responsive teaching
- Book studies on current and relevant topics
- Early notification of professional learning opportunities for members; and
- News and updates covering a range of information useful to Michigan educators.
- Others available upon request
Learning Forward Michigan’s Current Initiatives
Learning Forward Michigan is in conversation with other organizations about developing a professional learning system that is based on competency rather than seat time. It is also trying to build legislative support for restructuring the school day so educators have time during the work day to engage in their relevant and timely learning.
How Can You Be Involved?
Join Learning Forward Michigan today and take advantage of its programs, services and tools. Step up and advocate, with Learning Forward Michigan, for high quality professional learning. Serve on the board. Share your thoughts about quality professional learning by writing for the Learning Forward Michigan blog. Propose other ways Learning Forward Michigan can accomplish its vision of excellent teaching and learning every day. If we work together there is no limit to what can be accomplished. If we work together, you, your team, your school, your system and your students can achieve success and lasting change.
Michigan’s Professional Learning Policy
Learning Forward contributed to policies adopted by the Michigan State Board of Education. See the documents below. These are also found on the Michigan Department of Education website.
Michigan’s Professional Learning Policy Document
Michigan’s Professional Learning Policy: Standards
Michigan’s Professional Learning Policy: Supporting Guidance